This is your community's platform. Help us build it.
We'd love to hear your feedback/questions/concerns. If you want to request a local news group please let us know!
Shoot us a message and we'll get back to you ASAP :)
Take a peak at our FAQ
1. Why are you called The Burg?
We’re called The Burg for two reasons.
- Imagine an Iceberg, on the surface, nonthreatening, below the surface? A massive unknown. We at The Burg Team, love a good metaphor. So much so, that back in 2015 (well before we had any conceptions of building a company) we started a podcast with that in mind. It was meant to be a space where a group of 20 somethings from across the political spectrum could talk about tense issues and freely disagree with each other and not worry about offending one another. The podcast was short-lived and never publicly released (holding our few, feeble episdoes forever hostage), but we became fascinated and enamored with how this metaphor described our political system. We witnessed countless people posting about politics online, but no one talking about the real issues on the local level. Politics itself almost feels synonymous with this "massive unknown" kept below the surface. It would be a shame to let the metaphor die with our crappy podcast, so we let it live and we couldn't be happier about it. (yes we talk to our metaphors like they are our child)
- "But why aren't you called The Berg? Why the 'u'?" Fantastic question, human. That would be too easy. Our rhetorical devices don't stop at metaphors, we even leap into double entendres: Burg in German translate's to community. Boom.
2. I’m a registered voter but your system didn’t confirm me. What’s going on?
Depending on when you registered to vote, it’s possible that the updates haven’t reached our system yet. We’ll be updating our records continuously, but it sometimes takes a few months. Make sure you spell out your full, legal name and notify us if you’re registered but not in the system. We’ll be sure to update your status as soon as possible.
3. I’m a local representative. How can I sign up?
Hit the local rep icon (a ballot box) on the sign up screen. We have to verify you as a local rep, which will only take a few hours. Check your email for a verification message and then you’re in!
4. I’d love to join, but I’m not in LA county. What should I do?
This is a beta launch, which means we’re still working out the bugs and it is only available in Los Angeles County… for now. Our plan is scale out to the state of California and beyond in the next few months, so stay tuned!
5. What are you doing with my data?
6. I made a mistake while posting/commenting. How can I fix this?
We do not allow users to edit a post/comment after it has been submitted. However, you can delete a comment or post by hitting the three dots next that comment/post, then go ahead dust yourself off and go for it again :)
7. What do the up and down arrows do? Will people know if I hit the up or down arrow like a "like"?
The up and down arrows are our upvote/down buttons. Give a post an upvote if you think it matters to your community, or if not, hit the downvote. All voting is anonymous, just like in a voting booth. No one will be notified that you hit the up or downvote. The idea here isn't to see who your real friends are, but for the best content to rise through a merit based system. This is how people in their community democratically influence the top posts, so it's incredibly you get out there and starting up & downvoting!
8. I’m experiencing a bug or an issue with app. Help?
Sorry about that! This is a beta launch and we certainly don’t have all the bugs ironed out. Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll get right on it. We appreciate you helping us out!
9. Someone is posting horrible stuff. How can I report them?
Yes, you can report a post at any time and our team will take a look. Our policy is not to take down any content unless it is illegal/doxxing/harassment/etc, but if it crosses that line, we certainly will. The most effective way to get rid of bad or ugly content is to downvote it until it's no longer in your immediate feed. Comments with a score of -5 will be automatically collapsed.